- Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 714-3860, Ext.232
- CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
- CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
September 12, 2005 - WASHINGTON , D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Makita U.S.A. Inc., today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov .)
- Name of Product: Makita Chain Saws
- Units: About 3,400 units
- Distributor: Makita U.S.A. Inc., of La Mirada, Calif.
- Hazard: The flywheels on some of the chain saws can come apart during use, which could cause serious personal injury.
- Incident/Injuries: Makita has received three reports of the flywheel coming apart. There have been no reports of injury.
- Description: The recall involves Makita DCS6401 and DCS7901-model chain saws in which the last five digits of the serial numbers are within the following ranges:
| Chain saw Model || Serial Number Range |
| DCS6401 || |
41915 through 45612
81722 through 82057
| DCS7901 || 31182 through 31491 |
The chain saw's housing is teal with the name "Makita" is written on it. The chain saw's serial number can be found on the right hand side of the silver nameplate which is located on the back of the fuel tank. No other Makita chain saws are involved in the recall. Any DCS6401 or DCS7901 chain saws with the letter "N" preceding the serial number on the nameplate and a blue dot on the shipping carton have been repaired and are not involved in the recall.
- Sold at: Outdoor power equipment distributors and industrial contractor supply houses nationwide sold these chain saws from October 2004 through August 2005 for between $520 and $730.
- Manufactured in: Germany
- Remedy: Consumers should stop using these recalled chain saws immediately and contact Makita to arrange for a free repair. Known purchasers were sent direct mail notification of this recall.
- Consumer Contact: For more information, call Makita toll-free at (866) 714-3860, Ext.232 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.makitatools.com.